Re: Gnustep Application: GSBurn

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Gnustep Application: GSBurn
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:51:59 +0200

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 09:49 CEST, Andreas Schik
<andreas.schik@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 20.04.2012 15:09, schrieb Stefan Bidi:
> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Andreas Schik
> > <andreas.schik@googlemail.com <mailto:andreas.schik@googlemail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hello Riccardo,
> >
> >     yes, I am still around and a regular reader of gnustep-discuss :-)
> >     After some years of silence/inactivity due to workload, family, hobbies
> >     etc. I have recommenced work on Burn in last year's autumn (thanks to
> >     Sebastian, who kind of urged me to and who contributed some patches ;-).
> >     The CVS HEAD on SF.net is already usable (I have some minor glitches,
> >     mostly displaying progress issues) and as time allows there will be a
> >     new official release in the next couple of weeks.
> >
> >     As for the brokenness of cdrtools on Linux, this refers to the forked
> >     Debian variants (wodim et. al.). I cannot guarantee that Burn works>
> >  flwlessly with those, but it will with the original cdrtools by J.
> >     Schilling (I do my testing against them).
> >
> >     The fact that CDPlayer does no longer work on modern systems is due to
> >     the fact that vendors nowadays save a few pennies on each machine by
> >     omitting the audio cable. Usually, computers today are powerful enough
> >     to read the data via the bus and decode it to audio. Unfortunately, the
> >     library used (libcdaudio) does not support that. Due to my limited time
> >     ressources I am currently not able to switch to another solution. But
> >     maybe there are others around who have an interest in fixing that :-)
> >

> > I know you said you haven't had time to work on any of this, but have
> > you taken a look at libcdio?  I don't know how portable it is, though.
> I already had a (rather superficial) look at that, yes. The problem is
> that so far I don't have an idea how to decode/play the data read from
> the media. The example coming with libcdio (cdda-player) relies on a

> direct audio connection between the drive and the sound device, thus

> does not help. I could use aqualung as an example, but this is not
> really easy to understand.
> I had the idea of giving up on CDPlayer and instead integrate this
> functionality into Cynthiune. Here the playing part already exists, i.e.
> it seems to be "only" necessary to extract the PCM data from the CD and
> pass it to the next stage. Unfortunately, Cynthiune seems rather
> unmaintained (some of the backends can't be compiled anymore as
> necessary libraries have changes their APIs). Thus, I don't know whether
> it was a good idea. As you can imagine I am not too keen on taking over
> maintenance of that app considering that I already neglect CDPlayer :-)

We just imported Cynthiune into GAPs CVS some weeks ago. I already
fixed some interfaces, to make it work again for me on OpenBSD, with the
available packages. The WindowsMedia Bundle, and LibMusicBrainz interface
are the only two that are not working for me. Further I added a OpenBSD
specific Sndio output backend bundle, to use the OpenBSD native sound
daemon. So check that out, and if you have problems/suggestions/patches
for it, let me know about it. I'm happy about any contributions.

cheers,
Sebastian