Re: pbxbuild is now deprecated...

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: pbxbuild is now deprecated...
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 20:13:48 +0100

Whoops, I accidentally went off-list.

There are many .xcspec/.pbspec files that ship with Xcode and these determine how the projects are built. These determine supported languages (including how to colorize them), supported compilers, supported build systems, file types, format for .app bundles, et cetera.

If you have a Mac around, search for files with following extensions:

.xcspec
.pbcompspec
.pblinkspec
.pbprodspec
.pbbsetspec
.pbfilespec
.pblangspec
.xclangspec
.xcsynspec
.xcperspec
.xcbuildrules
.pbRTSspec
.trgttmpl

Go to Xcode's folder and punch in:
find . | grep .*\\.[px][bc].*spec
Note, Xcode3 is much more interesting than Xcode4, especially since it supports plugins (albeit unofficially).

Cocotron seems to be adding its cross compiler into Xcode by adding a spec file into the appropriate place.

Also look at this C# plugin for Xcode:
http://code.google.com/p/cocoa-sharp-dev/wiki/CSharpPlugin

Some docs on spec files:
http://code.google.com/p/xcode-plugin/wiki/Specifications
http://maxao.free.fr/xcode-plugin-interface/

This whole deal is basically why I got stuck with Zcode (aside from, at that time, still learning my way around AppKit and more advanced Objective-C concepts): I wanted to work on a build system that would use the spec files to generate the dependency tree and the build commands.