Re: GNUstep github mirror status...

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Re: GNUstep github mirror status...
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:37:44 -0800

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 01:21:58PM -0500, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> It looks like you're correct.  I used the following command to pull in
> the data from SVN:
>
> git svn clone --stdlayout --no-metadata <svnurl>
>
> This should have, in the theory, pulled in the branches.   I believe
> it did since, when I look at the repository on the disk of the machine
> which is maintaining the copies pulled in from SVN, this is what I'm
> seeing:
>
> * master
>   remotes/NSControl_mouseDown_fix

[snip]

>   remotes/trunk
>   remotes/unlabeled-1.1.1
>
> But when I clone the repo from github, I'm seeing this:
>
> new-host-2:gnustep-gui heron$ git branch -a
> * master
>   remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
>   remotes/origin/master
> new-host-2:gnustep-gui heron$
>
> which means that the history is not being pushed to the remote
> repository.  I'll figure out why and get back to the list.

I'd guess this may be because the references are all under remotes/,
and git usually doesn't push stuff under remotes.
You could adjust the refspec for the push,  to map that to a path
on github w/o 'remotes' in the path name.

How about the master vs trunk issue?  AFAICR svn uses 'trunk' as the
default mainline branch,  whereas for git the default is 'master'.

Should 'trunk' be pushed instead of 'master', or is 'master' already mapped to
'trunk'?

.pdf