Re: GNA is down...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNA is down...
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 01:07:07 -0500

All,

What follows are my general thoughts on this whole discussion thusfar.
 I'm only throwing out these thoughts for consideration at this point.

All of Eric's statements are excellent arguments for GIT.  The value
of something like github, since it is widely used and allows for any
number of people to pull from our repository and create their own
variations on GNUstep, shouldn't be undervalued.  It seems I spoke a
little too soon when I said git was off the table.   Using github
would give us access to a large community of people who could
potentially help make GNUstep a better project and that's what we
ultimately all want.  That being said git's user interface is terrible
and there is a learning curve associated with using it.  GIT can be
difficult to deal with at first and can make it very easy to lose data
if you make a mistake.

The way I see it, we have three real choices at this point (listed
alphabetically):

1) git
2) hg
3) fossil

git and hg are both supported by savannah at this point.  Both are
decentralized.  Both are well tested and well known and proven.

Currently, I know git better than I do mercurial, so I have no basis
on which to judge whether or not mercurial is better or worse.  I only
have what everyone else has said comparing the two systems.

Fossil, while it seems good and very comparable to both git and hg is
not very well known and not widely adopted.   I've learned in my
career that, while something might be technically better, that's,
sadly, not always enough.   Still we may want to consider this option
as well, if it's promising enough it might be worth it.

Each of the pros and cons of these choices should be weighed
individually and carefully.  GNUstep changing it's source code hosting
is something which has happened only once in a decade so we need to be
sure of our choice once it's made and we need to be sure that we can
live with whatever implications come out of that choice.   This is not
something that will be done lightly or overnight.

Another concern we should address as part of this effort is that the
current structure of the repository is somewhat convoluted and
confusing.   I would like to resolve this issue when we make this
move.   We may wish to consider splitting out all of the sub projects
in GNUstep into separate projects so that they can be individually
managed.

Thanks, GC