GNUstep-corebase on Windows

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: GNUstep-corebase on Windows
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:09:34 -0600

I just wanted to give another update on what I've been working on for the past few days.  GNUstep-corebase can now be built using only the Windows SDK and no longer requires -make, -base or libobjc.  I added an nmake makefile to the Source/ folder.  If you want to test this out you will need:

- Latest svn copy of -corebase
- A relatively recent version of icu for MSVC (http://site.icu-project.org/download/48#ICU4C-Download)
- Windows SDK

To build, the icu/ directory must be at the same level the corebase/ directory.  Open the SDK's CMD shell, cd into corebase\Source and type "nmake -f Makefile.nmake".  You'll end up with gnustep-corebase.{lib,exp,dll}.  Copy these 3 files, plus the icu dlls (located in icu\bin{64,}) to any directory you want.  At this point you should just be able to use "cl" and "link" to compile any software you want.  By modifying CFTesting.h in the Test/ dir, I was able to successfully build and run some of the tests in the test suite.

What's missing:
- Anything ObjC related
- The CF-types that are simply wrappers around ObjC objects (CFBundle, CFPropertyList, CFURL, etc)

This is just a proof of concept, so expect problems.

Thanks