Re: Fireplace.app

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Fireplace.app
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:38:34 +0100

Hi Fred, David,

Thanks to Fred for the kind words!

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 17:40, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
You might want to take a look at ProjectManager in Étoilé svn.  It is a compositing window manager written in Objective-C.  All of the XCB* classes are wrappers around various X functions (using xcb, since there is no reason to use the legacy xlib in new code).  Basic compositing and window management work already and the code is permissively licensed so can be reused in any project.

David

Thanks, David! I'll most definitely look into it. I did not know about XCB, and will look into it; I'm currently happy with Xlib because I'm familiar with SDL, and SDL's API seems to be pretty much based around Xlib's.

I was completely unaware of ProjectManager. That's a rather strange name for a window manager, considering there is already a GNUstep IDE called ProjectManager :)
May I suggest a rename into something like EtoileWM?

--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net