Re: some gnustep-base tests are randomly failing

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: some gnustep-base tests are randomly failing
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:44:45 +0200

On Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:19 CEST, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26 Oct 2011, at 15:32, David Chisnall wrote:
>
> > I was getting valgrind errors from something in the XML propertly list
> > serialisation / user defaults stuff on program start a little while ago.
> > It went away, so I assumed it was fixed, but it's possible that it just
> > went away because the contents of my defaults changed...
> >
> > I now see a valgrind error in dlopen() form NSBundle.  It seems to try
> > reading 8 bytes past the end of the string returned by
> > -fileSystemRepresentation.  I didn't have time to check if it's a bug in
> > GNUstep or in libc yet.
> >
> > David
> >
> > On 26 Oct 2011, at 15:24, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> attached are a couple of backtraces of kind of randomly failing
> >> gnustep-base tests. I tested on OpenBSD 5.0 -current i386. I tested the
> >> following combinations, whichever doesn't matter:
> >>
> >> gcc-4.2.1 with gcc system libobjc
> >> gcc-4.2.1 with libobjc2 svn
> >> clang-3.0rc1 with gcc system libobjc
> >> clang-3.0rc1 with libobjc2 svn
> >>
> >> so the compiler doesn't seem to matter, nor which libobjc is used. For me
> >> it seems that some buffers are read/written past its end.
>
> I can't reproduce any problems here ... but I'd guess that the most likely
> culprit for buffer overruns would be the changes I made recently to support
> UTF-8 in string literals.  It could be that there's a system or (more likely)
> locale specific bug to do with converting to/from UTF-8 in some situation.

I found some time, trying to play with other locales so I did:
export LC_CTYPE='en_US.UTF-8'
and reran the testsuite for a couple of times. The random tests don't seem to
fail anymore.
But with the LC_CTYPE exported, some other tests fail constantly:
Testing json.m...
Running base/NSJSONSerialization/json.m.
Failed test:     json.m:42 ... Round trip worked with pretty printing
Failed test:     json.m:44 ... Round trip worked with ugly printing
Failed test:     json.m:45 ... Round trip worked through stream
Testing basic.m...
Running base/NSNumberFormatter/basic.m...
Failed test:       basic.m:50 ... numeric and space padding OK
Expected '  001234' and got ' _ 01234'

Sebastian