Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: Thomas Davie
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 15:47:25 +0100

On 8 Oct 2011, at 21:46, Richard Stallman wrote:

   I notice that you put iTunes in the same category as the App
   Store.  Perhaps you should recall that the iTunes Music Store was
   instrumental getting the entire music industry to abandon DRM.

I wish that were true.  According to Eben Moglen, the record companies
concluded that their contract with Apple was screwing them, so they
started bypassing Apple by selling music without DRM in other places.
Only then did Apple drop DRM on music.

Not that it makes much difference to the discussion, but I thought I'd correct the missinformation here.

In chronological order

1) Apple started negotiating DRM free contracts with all record companies
2) Apple succeeded with EMI and started distributing their music as "iTunes Plus"
3) The other 3 of the "big 4" realised that apple had them over a barrel, and thought that they could get out of this by not offering Apple DRM free music, but offering it to other companies instead.
4) The other 3 of the big 4 caved after they realise that even this could not dislodge apple and that they were losing a lot of sales.

Thanks

Tom Davie

if (*ra4 != 0xffc78948) { return false; }