Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 04:50:16 -0400

        So it is unfair of RMS to
    characterize Steve as the "one who made jail cool."

That is fair because that is the most important effect he had on the
world.

                                                          Don't let one
    bad thing tarnish a myriad of great things.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with that.

If Jobs did several things, the rational way to judge these things is
separately.  Thus, the App Store does not make the NextSTEP design
bad, and the NextSTEP design does not make the App Store good.

If the question is to judge Jobs, that requires adding them all up.  I
conclude that his net effect was very negative, because the App Store
and iTunes did tremendous harm.  However, when judging Jobs' legacy
isn't the question, we don't need to add them up.  We can keep them
separate.

In particular, there is no reason why criticism of Jobs should have
any affect on anyone's opinions about GNUstep.  GNUstep is what it is,
regardless of Jobs, Apple, or anyone else.