Re: problem with gworkspace-0.9.0 and gnustep-base-1.23.0

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: problem with gworkspace-0.9.0 and gnustep-base-1.23.0
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:30:07 +0200

On 02.10.2011 19:01, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
On 10/01/11 23:07, Julian Mayer wrote:
gnustep-gui-0.20.0, gnustep-back-0.20.1
gnustep-base to the new 1.23.0

i think i have encountered the same problem, this package combination just
doesn't work. it didn't even compile for me until i linked preface.h to
GSConfig.h, and afterwards all but the most simplest programs wouldn't run.
I just removed the inclusion of preface.h, which worked well for me.
After testing a couple of more programs, it seems all are kind of broken
with this combination of last released versions of gnustep core stuff.

i mentioned on the IRC channel that the current package combination as offered
from the download page doesn't work, but it didn't seem to concern.

using SVN trunk instead works just fine.
I'm packaging for OpenBSD, so taking the whole stuff from svn, doesn't
work out. I also don't know which fix in svn to take to make it work
with latest gnustep-base, so for the time being, I have to stick with
1.22.2.

I guess the problem is somewhere in -gui. Would it be too much effort to
just release a bugfix/compatibility release which fixes this
incompatibility? Right now, this doesn't give a good impression when the
latest releases don't work well together...

Yes, the problem is in gui, but it originated from a change in base. NSAttributedString no longer works with nil as the string (this changes was done for compatibility with Cocoa) and so some methods in gui that relied on the old behaviour need to be changed. Eric did so on the 21st of July, but it will take a few more days before we will be ready to release a new version of gui. Sorry for that, it is mostly my fault, I need to add a few more things to gui before the release.