Re: GNUstep on 10.7

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep on 10.7
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:41:56 +0100

On 28 Aug 2011, at 14:57, Adam Fedor wrote:

> Better to build on OSX/Cocoa and deploy on FreeBSD/GNUstep. You'd have to
> test on FreeBSD anyway due to operating system differences.

I agree with this.  OS X and FreeBSD have almost the same libc, making it the
easiest place to port OS X code to, but there are still some subtle differences
that can bite you if you're unlucky.

If you don't want another physical machine, it only takes about an hour to
install FreeBSD in a VirtualBox VM and then install GNUstep on top.  This is
what I do, so that I can test my code on 32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD easily.

And, if you find that you want to use some Cocoa classes or methods that are
not yet present in GNUstep, then patches are very welcome...

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103