Re: new attempt GNUstep on cygwin

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: new attempt GNUstep on cygwin
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 11:14:00 +0200

Over the weekend Riccardo Mottola and I spend a few hours with GNUstep on Cygwin. We failed as did anybody else who tried recently, but at least we would like to share the things we found out and hopefully the next attempt will then get further.

Cygwin
======
We used the gcc4 packages (gcc 4.3.4) as the standard gcc packages have a broken libffi (even when you add all the scattered pieces you will need for that). Riccardo will send a detailed list of all the Cygwin packages he has installed for GNUstep.

As noted earlier it is crucial that you don't have spaces in the paths used by Cygwin. We just created a new home directory and redefined the HOME environment variable.

Make
====
Make uses somewhat strange file extensions for Cygwin compiled files ended up being called .c.o and .m.o, no problem as the linker expects that naming convention. It is only when compiling a file manually that you will have to remember to rename it (and move it into the correct directory).

Base
====
We had problem with the default locale on Cygwin. It has LANG set to "C.UTF-8", this isn't supported in the GSLanguageFromLocale() function in base, which obviously is a bug. It is easy to work around this by setting LANG to "C".

Gui
===
We have some hack in NSBitmapImageRep+JPEG.m that was added specifically for Cygwin at some point in time but now breaks the compilation. We need to find out whether that modified JPEG library is still in circulation. If not we can just remove this code otherwise we need to add a configure check for this special JPEG library.

Back
====
you need to run configure --enable-server=win32 if you want the native display and why wouldn't you want that? The compilation of gscolors.c failed for me. Strange enough it worked when done manually, but without the -o switch. Most likely this is a gcc bug and this was the place where I found out about the strange extensions and directory names.
winpbs.m has a missing #include, we need to add this.

Execution
=========
We tried to run all the test code in base and gui. For some reason the test environment wont detect test cases that just break with a segmentation fault, that way it is hard to say how much of the tests actually run correctly. In base teh NSRunLoop test never returned, we had to kill it. Simple command line tools seem to run, as they already get used when compiling gui and back. Any real gui application and more complex tools seem to segmentation fault rather early. The computer with the backtrace is a few hundred kilometres away, Riccardo will have to provide the exact backtrace, but it wasn't very helpfull.

I think the next step should be to recompile our own libobjc as most likely this is the source of the problem. We didn't have the time for this on the weekend and it is unclear at what time any of us will touch Cygwin again.