Re: Implementation of CommonCrypto?

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Implementation of CommonCrypto?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:38:00 +0200

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 04:23:01PM +0100, David Chisnall wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2011, at 05:32, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Has anyone worked on getting an implementaiton of CommonCrypto for GNUstep?
> >

> As far as I am aware, there is no need.  Apple released CommonCrpyto under a
> BSD license[1].  Someone (Niels, I think) checked with them to confirm that
> the EULA-style license for part of it was put there in error a while ago, and
> it's all available under a BSD license.

Yes. That's quite accurrate. One of the files had an evaluation license
left over by mistake. But it appears as if they have not yet changed
that in the code they make available.

> It is not, as far as I know, packaged by any open source operating systems,
> so you might want to poke your favourite distribution to produce packages.

Getting it to work on a non-Darwin platform requires a little work
though. CommonCrypto has CPU specific assembly for a lot of stuff and
unfortunately that assembly uses some Mach-O specific keywords that need
to be cleaned up. Is started doing that a while back but then I got
distracted. If you're interested, I can put the code in an accessible
place somewhere.

Cheers,

Niels