Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:04:34 +0200

David Chisnall wrote:

Blocks were in Smalltalk right from the start. They are one of the fundamental features of most object oriented languages. The syntax is, I agree, quite ugly, but they're one of the fundamental building blocks of object oriented languages. JavaScript and Self manage a rich object system with just dictionaries and blocks.

After using Pragmatic Smalltalk for a bit, the main thing I missed when returning to Objective-C was the BlockClosure class. With Objective-C 2, I can use blocks in Objective-C code, and it makes life a lot easier for a whole lot of things (sorting, filtering, visitor pattern...).

Indeed. Higher-order features (like blocks) were maybe made popular by functional languages, but they are in no way restricted to functional languages.

Wolfgang