Re: Transparent Windows, WindowMaker and [NSWindow backgroundColor]

From: Austin Clow
Subject: Re: Transparent Windows, WindowMaker and [NSWindow backgroundColor]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 01:22:45 -0500

Yes, this helps a lot. It is, then, because i am using WindowMaker. I didn't know they werent compatible. I will just forget it for now (well maybe). I dont want to go thru the trouble of figuring out how OpenBox or compiz work just yet.

I do have another question tho, on the wiki it states the following:

"cairo – experimental backend using the cairo 2D graphics library. Whilst being not ready for daily work it is planned to replace the current default backends and let cairo care about the underlying graphics system (xlib/xrender, win32, opengl...)"

If cairo will eventually become default, what will the prefered window manager become if WindowMaker is not fully compatible, that is? I had thought that WindowMaker was the prefered due to its being able to run on top / with other window managers.

Also, if i do decide to run OpenBox, what problems should I look for. I am running Ubuntu. And am currently logging directly into WindowMaker.

- Austin