Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.4

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.4
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 10:19:55 +0200

David Chisnall wrote:

GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.4
===============================

This is the fifth official release of the GNUstep Objective-C runtime (a.k.a. libobjc2). This runtime was designed to support the features of Objective-C 2 for use with GNUstep and other Objective-C programs. Highlights of this
release include:

And, unfortunately, it seems to contain a major bug. The attached program generates the incorrect output

new object is: <MyObject: 0x104b80>

with version 1.4 of the GNUstep Objective-C (compiled with gcc 4.5 on OS X, and gcc 4.4 on Ubuntu 10.04). The correct output is

new object is: [MyObject:0x104b80]

and is produced with all other Objective-C runtimes, including version 1.3 of the GNUstep runtime.

Wolfgang

PS: Don't tell me that the release calls in the sample program are redundant. I know you think they are, but I prefer writing code which is correct independent of its context.