Re: what is the best Windows distribution?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: what is the best Windows distribution?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:37:27 +0200

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I come to realize MinGW+GnuStep setup doesn't have a packaging system or installer like CygWin, thus there are two choices to get applications.

1. To get applications packaged in a Win32 installer. There is only gorm, systempreferences and calculator available, a rather barren land.

2. To compile from source. This isn't trivial. For example, gnumail only offer source code in form of monotone checkout, so first problem is how to get monotone running. Many other application have source hosted on their site, and the way to get them may change. Besides it's not sure they will successfully be compiled, not even mentioning dependencies.

-1. Switch to cygwin. This is a dead-end at the moment.

Both seems to be much poorer choices than FreeBSD (excluding -1).

There is an additional choice that is also non-trivial: To run a X-server on Windows and to install a virtual machine where FreeBSD inside, and install application in FreeBSD, port to X-server in Windows 2000.

This additional choice looks only as good as falling back to FreeBSD and tolerate 2 devices having no driver.

Thanks for commenting so far!

Well, compiling from source *should* be trivial. Any decently maintained application has tarball releases, often also nightly or beta tarballs.

I compile and install stuff that way. Compiling Ink, FTP, PRICE, LaternaMagica, Gorm, ProjectCenter, Graphos is a matter of make && make install. GWorkspace needs some configuration tweaks I remener (all within the configure realm) and in any case it is not so suited for windows, although the latest versions do run now.

Riccardo