Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?

From: Andrea D'Amore
Subject: Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:04:52 +0200

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Dario Niedermann <dnied@tiscali.it> wrote:
> What's the best Linux distribution for installing, setting up and using
> GNUstep?

I had the same question lately as I've been a Debian user for several
years and I love how easy and well packed stable (and even unstable)
are, but I wanted something to install packages from source
à-la-ports.
This would obviously mean FreeBSD that fascinates me but (sadly) I
feel more comfortable with linux distributions, plus linux offers some
driver advantages like hardware acceleration or so.

So I made my quest and "adopted" Sabayon linux that is a Gentoo based
with an additional layer for binary packages support. The portage
system is there and so is their Entropy package manager, they seem to
offer all Gentoo's port prebuilt, also it comes both as minimal
install, like Gentoo's stage*, that as "with batteries included"
discs.

Obviously best is strictly personal but I a system that offers both
portage that binary is IMHO very handy.
Notice that I'm not using it extensively, my main system is OS X, I'm
using it only for my "linux stuff" in VirtualBox, still you may want
to have a look at it.

And "sabayon" is actually a dessert, that's a plus.

--
Andrea

[1] http://www.sabayon.org/