Re: Objective-C & GNUstep Base on Ubuntu compute cluster: crazy?

From: John W Kennedy
Subject: Re: Objective-C & GNUstep Base on Ubuntu compute cluster: crazy?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:06:14 -0400

On 2011-03-30 12:17:18 -0400, David Kulp said:

I took a hiatus from non-GUI scientific programming to develop iOS and MacOS apps. I'm smitten with Objective-C and the Foundation kit (plus a number of other nice Apple kits like Core Data). And XCode is pretty impressive -- although I'm still an emacs user at heart. Anyway, now I'm back into scientific programming -- i.e. non-GUI number-crunching apps running on linux clusters. I despise C++ and would love to avoid it as much as possible, although the current corporate culture is C++/R/Perl.

I thought I'd use Apple's CF-Lite, but that is no longer supported.

So am I crazy to even consider this? Can a minimal GNUstep be easily built on Ubuntu without a GUI. Is it conceivable that I could develop in Xcode on my mac and test and deploy to a linux box? Anyone else do this?

Considering how prevalent Mac OS X is as the desktop/laptop environment among the scientific/academic computing folks, I would think there would be a lot of interest in leveraging the Objective C development tools for cluster computing, high performance computing, cloud computing, etc.

Apple itself is obviously looking into that sort of thing, what with Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL. There is a problem, though, with Objective-C, itself, in that method (or message) dispatch can, in some cases, represent a major cost.

--
John W Kennedy
Having switched to a Mac in disgust at Microsoft's combination of incompetence and criminality.