Re: Question about WindowMaker

From: Martin Dietze
Subject: Re: Question about WindowMaker
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:45:18 +0100

On Mon, March 21, 2011, Omar Campos wrote:

> Fedora distro. My question is, (please excuse my ignorance) does the
> WindowMaker used in GNUStep implement an X Server?  If it does, that is a

No. Please bear in mind what an X server is supposed to do.
WindowMaker is a window manager. To see what the difference
between a window manager and an X server is you might want
to consult wikipedia [1].

> powerful feature. Also, is WindowMaker implemented completely inside
> GWorkspace, or would there there be need to download/compile something else?

While the above is pretty much an RTFM question, it is
probably worthwhile to point out the relationship between
WindowMaker and GNUstep as well as recent activity on WM
development.

WindowMaker provides a GNUstep-like look-and-feel, but it is not
even based on GNUstep (and of course not on GWorkspace!).
However it is designed to allow good integration of GNUstep
applications, like GWorkspace is one.

While WindowMaker development had been pretty dead for quite a
while (in fact, the application is very stable, so development
was not strictly necessary), there has been quite a bit of
initiative lately, Carlos Mafra maintains a git repo for bug
fixes and also one for new WM features. I provide automatic
Debian builds based on that code (see [2]).

Cheers,

M'bert

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager
[2] http://www.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/pub/wmaker/