Re: Failed installing GNUstep-GUI on Debian Squeeze using SVN

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Failed installing GNUstep-GUI on Debian Squeeze using SVN
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:04:58 +0000

On 19 Mar 2011, at 16:39, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> On 18.03.2011 22:41, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just compiled GNUstep from SVN on Debian Squeeze: make, base but when
>>> try to install gui get errors:
>>>
>>> http://pastebin.com/SYWKJbAn
>>>
>>> How can I solve this problem?
>>
>> Although this happened when compiling gui it is actually a base issue. :-)
>> It was just for cases like this that I convinced Richard to move the
>> test framework into the specific modules. If you try to run the tests
>> in base, you will notice that the same problem shows up.
>
> OK, I check out SVN repository again and recompile gnustep-base after I
> installed zlibc, zlib-bin, however I have installed zlib1g, zlib1g-de
> when this problem occure.
>
> So after recompilation and installation of make I run tests with 'make
> check' and get messages:
> --->
> 5544 Passed tests
>  11 Dashed hopes
>   9 Skipped sets
>   2 Failed builds
> ---<
>
> base/headers/ObjCXX.mm:
> Failed build:
>
> base/NSObject/objc++.mm:
> Failed build:

I'm guessing these failed because you don't have an Objective-C++ compiler on
your system ... I've modified the test framework to (hopefully) refrain from
testing Objective-C++ stuff if there's no compiler.

> After this I compile base and again I get messages:
> 5543 Passed tests
>  11 Dashed hopes
>   9 Skipped sets
>   2 Failed builds
>
> After this I try to compile again gui but get the error:
> Linking tool make_services ...
> /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzopen64'
> /usr/lib64/libxml2.so.2: undefined reference to `gzdirect@ZLIB_1.2.2.3'
> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libgnustep-base.so: undefined
> reference to `gzseek64'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
>> From the error message I would guess that libxml2 requires the zlib,
>> but GNUstep base wasn't linked against that.
>
> So, I was thinking that that if I install zlibc and zlib-bin I can then
> install gui but this isn't the case.

This sounds like a problem in your libxml2 and/or its package dependencies ...
if it uses the zlib stuff then the packaging system should have ensured that
the zlib package was already present.

One thing you can try is to make sure you have the zlib-devel package
installed, then configure and build gnustep-base again