Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.2

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.2
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000

It's very simple for newcomers:

Install the GNUstep runtime from your operating system's packages, don't think
about version numbers.  On FreeBSD:

# portinstall gnustep-libobjc

Optionally one of the following:

# portinstall clang
# portinstall clang-devel
# portinstall gcc46

Or use the gcc (4.2.1) from the base system if you only need Objective-C 1
support.

Or (more likely) install a metapackage for GNUstep and don't care about the
runtime at all.  If a typical user needs to think about the Objective-C runtime
at all, let alone its version number, then we've done something quite badly
wrong elsewhere.

David

On 21 Feb 2011, at 15:24, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> While I understand the thousands reasons behind the confusion,
> we should make it as simple as possible for newcomers.
>
> They probably don't know about version numbers by
> Apple (there it is simply part of "some SDK") nor
> GCC nor Debian nor our history...
>
> My assumption is that they just think "Obj-C 1.0 vs. Obj-C 2.0".
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA