Re: Things to bring along for FOSDEM

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: Things to bring along for FOSDEM
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:32:15 -0500

I used to do A/V for (very) large seminars here in the states.  Invariably the
larger ballrooms and conference halls had a speaker system, but smaller
conference rooms often didn't have separate systems (many times, smaller
conference rooms were just a larger room with partitions pulled across to
divide up the space).  Most of the time, it was not worth the effort to deal
with what you would find, it was easier to bring everything you could possibly
need.

If you do go that route, you need to have a decent-sized arsenal of connectors
and adaptors.  Mic circuits are generally going to be balanced XLR, often
powered, which isn't going to be something you can simply plug your laptop
into.  A small mixing console, typically something with several high impedance
inputs and XLR and line-level RCA outputs is very useful.  It's sort of the
Swiss-army-knife tool when doing this sort of thing.  You can call ahead to the
hotel to try to get some idea of their facilities, but in my experience I
rarely found someone who understood enough to answer my questions accurately.

--Robert