Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has Gn

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has GnuStep edition
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:43:40 -0600

In article <mailman.10.1295920702.26185.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 "Zhang Weiwu, Beijing" <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:

> On 01/25/2011 06:25 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> >
> > Linux, *BSD, Solaris... a big mess, don't you think? A maze...
> > GNUstep has its shortcomings, but I think that generally Linux is not
> > such a well-defined and interesting target for many applications.
> > Sadly perhaps, but it is reality.
>
> Consider application authors delver binary due to the fact the source
> code is thus not available

This directly contradicts your idea that support would be a simple
recompile.  No developer is avoiding building yet-another-binary simply
because typing "make" is too hard.

>, is a byte-code approach possible solution to
> this BUSINESS PROBLEM?

No.  The real need boils down to having a supported API that covers all
the target platforms; whether or not that involves a virtual machine is
immaterial.  The "problem" with GNUstep is that the major platform
(Mac OS X) doesn't write to the standard (OpenStep).

In some ways, it reflects the problem web browsers had when Microsoft
was dominant with IE.  The only difference is that Apple keeps
innovating, make it harder for GNUstep to "Firefox" them.  That's certainly
why I had high hopes when there was news/rumors that Sony was going to
put their support behind GNUstep for their mobile offering.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,