Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has Gn

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: question about low availability of Mac OS X applications that has GnuStep edition
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 03:10:25 +0100

I picked my words carefully in the previous mail: GIMP ToolKit got a lot exposure because of GNOME, not GIMP. Before that it was just another toolkit, like many others in the X11 world. And GNOME became popular primarily because Canonical likes it more than KDE, and Canonical is a commercial interest with freedom + support + services being its business model. It is in their interest that more people see Ubuntu and GNOME as good and usable, because that means more support contracts and more Ubuntu One users.

KDE become popular with its partner QT along for the ride, and with TrollTech, a company with a commercial interest with freedom being only a part of its business model. Freedom is a way to stimulate people to learn how to use QT and to get them to license it for commercial use. Nokia has different goals, and they want QT for their own offerings; I'm not sure how KDE fits into their plans. KDE e.V. is also a company with, afaik, full time employees.

What company does GNUstep have to support its interests? It should be FSF, I guess.

Here is a non-rhetoric question, since I don't know the current situation: Does, and can, FSF invest its energy and resources into GNUstep? Another one: do we have full time employees of some company which decided popularization of GNUstep is their strategic interest? If so, what are the planned ways to achieve popularization?

Well, I'm now going back to sleep, hopefully I made some sense in this mail. If not, I'll regret that tomorrow :-)

Regards,

Ivan Vučica
via phone