Re: GNUstep on OS X

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUstep on OS X
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:19:46 +0100

On četvrtak, 20. siječnja 2011. at 16:59, David Chisnall wrote:

That bug report is about not being able to compile GNUstep with Apple GCC. This won't work, because Apple GCC can't target the GNU runtime (clang can on OS X, so that might work, but it's untested). GNUstep does not work with Apple's Objective-C runtime, which is designed to work closely with Apple's Foundation.

I'm not really sure what the objective is in using GNUstep on OS X. You can use GNUstep Additions to get most of the GNUstep extensions on top of Cocoa, and you can just use Cocoa if you want the core APIs...

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA
It's about not being able to compile GNUstep on OS X with MacPorts. My idea of MacPorts is single-command-install, not tracking around why it didn't install. I should not have to worry whether or not it doesn't work because it's trying to use Apple's compiler or not: if it doesn't like Apple's compiler (which I understand), end user wants it to avoid using Apple's compiler. That's it :-)

Currently, gnustep-base port seems to use GCC 4.2 despite no longer depending on MacPorts GCC 4.2 (which didn't work) and despite me having MacPorts GCC 4.3 and 4.4 installed because they're dependencies of some other packages.

Why I'd like to use GNUstep on OS X? Well, I don't necessarily want GNUstep the development environment -- although I'd like to have it so I can more easily develop Linux-targeting apps. For that reason, I also want to have Gorm: I want to use the UI environment that other contributors would use. I want to contribute to the FLOSS ecosystem and to spread the Objective-C love, no matter what the platform is used; just because I currently use OS X doesn't mean I don't want to help spread Objective-C among my friends who use GNU/Linux. And I want to contribute something to myself in case I am no longer able to use a Mac.

I also want it because I want to play with random GNUstep apps under my day-to-day OS.

I am also not sure using a combo of Cocoa and GNUstep is a good idea if one wants to target pure GNUstep platforms. Plus, consider that as a developer who just wants to "get things done", I'd like to worry just about getting my underlying libraries to work, not how to get a combo of GNUstep and Cocoa to merge and work happily together :-)

By the way, I love the sig :-)
--
Ivan Vučica