Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: GNUstep SoftWare Index - new project home and sources of the tool
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 18:48:08 +0100

Am 07.01.2011 um 18:34 schrieb Banlu Kemiyatorn:

> 2011/1/8 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>:
>> Hi,
>> GNUstep is such a mature project that every idea is already implemented at
>> least once (and sometimes not very good). There is not only the Software
>> but a Application Wiki. Please see here:
>>
>>        http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Category:Applications
>>
>> So we have different solutions for different requirement priorities. A wiki
>> is good for
>> collaborative editing while a dedicated tool like SWI is better in keeping
>> things
>> well structured.
>
> I agree that a dedicated tool is better for keeping things well
> structured. But IMHO it's better to keep the community structured
> along as well. Departing the tool from people may not improve the
> overall community's structure or at least it isn't giving them enough
> freedom to decide.

>>> Why using wiki template didn't allow every page to look the same?
>>> And if it really is the case, Wiki bot would easily do the job.
>>
>> Maybe, you can set up some bot that reads out the Software Index and updates
>> the Application Wiki?
>>
>> Nikolaus
>
> Good idea! Especially for anyone who want to edit wiki.gnustep.org,
> which AFAIK, was locked by some maintainers who weren't be able to
> deal with spammers and want to keep it for a certain group of people.
> While I don't blame them in anyway I also don't agree this philosophy.
> In my opinion, if you can't maintain an open wiki for an open
> community you better just use any banner-sacrificed service. So for
> this reasoning process, I personally decided as an individual that I
> must politically not edit it.

I don't know that it was locked and I have write access for a long time.
As far as I know there simply weren't enough people who were interested
in editing the existing wiki. Therefore, there also weren't enough for
cleaning a completely open wiki from spam.

IMHO it is not something political, is just a critical mass issue. If a
community is over
some critical mass, you can run the Wiki openly and find people to clean it.
If not, you have to restrict access by a registration process or the work
already
invested will be lost.

In the last years the GNUstep community was small and only did grow in the
past two years.

Maybe, you could come to FOSDEM and lead a discussion how to improve
the structure and useage of the GNUstep wiki in the devroom?

Nikolaus