Re: Foundation.h help

From: Tim Kack
Subject: Re: Foundation.h help
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:13:24 +0100

Hi CBW,

(Resent including gnustep-discuss)

I see that you are using plain GCC to compile.
The easiest way of doing development on windows is to use the GNUstep
Make package instead
(http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Make/Manual/make.html).

Basically (you might already done some of these steps, just added for
completeness)
1. Ensure that make, base, bui and back are installed by using the
installers from here: http://www.gnustep.org/experience/Windows.html
2. Create a GNUMakefile in the directory where your main.m lives
according to the make documentation, i.e.

#
# An example GNUmakefile
#

# Include the common variables defined by the Makefile Package
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

# Build a simple Objective-C program
TOOL_NAME = prog1

# The Objective-C files to compile
prog1_OBJC_FILES = prog1.m

-include GNUmakefile.preamble
# Include in the rules for making GNUstep command-line programs
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make
-include GNUmakefile.postamble

3. Ensure that GNUstep.sh is sources by typing 'env | grep GNU'
You should see a lot of "GNUSTEP_XXXX_XXX" variable defined.
If they are not defined (which they really should be with after using
the windows installer) - you need to source the GNUstep.sh file like
this:

. /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

4. Type 'make' and see that it starts building.
Then to "install" it, type 'make install' followed by 'make clean'

5. If you run into any issues, type "make message=yes" and capture
output, that makes it easier to troubleshoot.

Best regards,
Tim