Re: GNUstep Desktop

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep Desktop
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 01:32:35 +0100

Hi,

you have three main Sources, as Eric writes.

- the gnustep supplied apps themselves (Gworkspace, SystemPrefernces, the developer tools, Ink...) - the GNUstep Application Project (GAP, which I must cite, since I develop there)
- Etoilé

Nothing prevents you from mixing apps from the projects, although Etoilé follows a different paradigm and has its own set of additional Kits compared to GAP.

There are then a couple of Apps which are not under an umbrella project, like PRICE, Cenon, etc. CHeck our Wiki and our Application list.

Since you will notice that sadly many apps are not packaged for debian/ubuntu and/or they are outdated, I would suggest what I do myself on a developer machine or on my laptop:

1) use the pakcages to satisfy all dependencies, but build GNUstep core and all apps from source. It is really not hard. Core requires configuration, the rest of the apps are either "configure && make install" or even just "make install" in most of the cases.

2) use the packages to install gnustep core, gworkspace and most supplied apps. Compile from source the remaining. It is easy in this case and the apps will end up in the "Local" domain (wherever this is in Debian/GNUstep)

If you plan to write some apps, which would be welcome, or even just help maintaining some.. theen the small hurdle of doing "make" should be a no-brainer!

Riccardo

Stefan Elwesthål wrote:
Hi all,

I just got GNUStep installed on my Ubuntu and compiled some simple example. However, what would be the easiest way to setup a pure GNUstep Desktop environment, and get rid of that Gnomish thing?
If I miss a lot of apps, I will develop them faster ;)
Thankful for any guides or links!