Looking for help getting started with GNU

From: Allen Montgomery
Subject: Looking for help getting started with GNU
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 16:43:03 -0400

I am an experienced programmer, but mostly with high level languages. With C, the language is not a problem, but the environment can be.

I have a windows xp system, and I have just downloaded and executed the following files:

gnustep-mysys-system-0.25.1-setup.exe
gnustep-core-0.25.0-setup.exe
gnustep-devel-1.1.1-setup.exe

I'm not really sure what to do next. Is there an editor in there, or do I just use notepad? Once I've written my code, how do I actually compile it? By the way, I am perfectly comfortable with batch file programming. I suspect I have everything I need to get started. But I wonder if someone might be willing to talk me through the process of actually compiling my first program in this new environment. Let's start with something simple, like printing the alphabet. If I want to do anything more complicated than that, I'm sure I can find all the online reference materials I need.

Thanks,

Allen Montgomery