Re: Renaissance - how to use Grids?

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Renaissance - how to use Grids?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:35:56 +0000 (UTC)

В Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:39:01 +0100, Nicola Pero написа:

>> I have installed GNUstep on my Debian GN U/Linux Squeeze with aptitude.
>> Should I purge this installation and install gnustep from SVN? :(
>
> Unfortunately, yes.

No, there is absolutely no reason to purge the whole GNUstep stuff and
reinstall from SVN.  You will encounter various difficulties for no
good reason.

Assuming that the forthcoming Renaissance release is ABI compatible
with 0.9.0, and it works with Base 1.19.3/GUI 0.16.0, you can do:

$ apt-get source renaissance
# apt-get build-dep renaissance
# aptitude install build-essential devscripts
$ cd <your-fresh-renaissance-svn-checkout>
$ svn export ... (optional)
$ gs_make dist
$ cd <some-other-dir>
$ cp <your-fresh-renaissance-svn-checkout>/releases/
Renaissance-0.9.0.tar.gz .
$ tar xzvf Renaissance* && cd Renaissance*
$ cp -a <your-renaissance-debian-source>/debian .
$ dch -l local "Temporary package of SVN trunk."
$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
# dpkg -i ../*.deb

That way, when we package the new release, and it migrates to testing,
the package manager will automatically replace your custom package
with the official one.  No need to mess with the rest of the debian
GNUstep packages.