Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?

From: Paul Chany
Subject: Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:13:22 +0200

Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com> writes:

> On 24 Jun 2010, at 10:29, Paul Chany wrote:

>> <menuItem title="Quit" keyEquivalent="q" action="terminate:" />

>> the menuItem the keyEquivalent="q" don't work.

I mean it can't to be localizable.

> Renaissance doesn't translate the keyEquivalents.  Some attributes are
> marked as localizable, others aren't.  keyEquivalents is not marked as
> localizable.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

> Maybe that's wrong - I'm not sure.  Do people change the
> keyEquivalents from one language to the other ?  My feeling/experience
> was that keyboard shortcut are usually the same across languages.

If they don't do, they should, but everyone should make a decision
whether she/he want or want not. I would because I think that that
everyone like (or know) it's native (first) language much better than
other languages, so if in English for 'Quit' stand a shortcut 'q' then
why don't is there in Hungarian for 'Kilép' a shortcut 'k'?!

> But maybe that's the case more because of limitations of the systems/
> software as opposed to being a conscious decision ?

Developers should think about that that there are so many languages in
the world and that those languages are a value, a treasure for as,
people.

> I guess it could be made configurable in Renaissance.

It would be grait!! :)

> We could have a keyEquivalent, which is not translated, and a
> localizableKeyEquivalent, which is.  You'd normally specify only one
> of these in your XML, so depending on which one you use, you'd get to
> decide if you want your key equivalent to be translated or not. ;-)

I whish to have in Renaissance localisableKeyEquivalent beside
keyEquivalent!! Is it much work to get it?

> Anyway, comments or suggestions very welcome :-)

If I know better Obj-C and if I could to contribute in this, I would
start write the code right now!! :)

--
Regards,
Paul Chany