Re: sync.m

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: sync.m
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:40:15 +0000

On 27 Feb 2010, at 17:15, David Chisnall wrote:

> Thanks for the report, I'll take a look.  I don't think I'd tested
> @synchronized() with a class as an argument - it seems like a very strange
> thing to do when there are safe ways of achieving the same result with much
> less overhead.

Good point, but one which is probably not obvious to most people.  Certainly a
new ObjC programmer is likely to think that anything which is part of the
'standard' must be good.

You are probably in a better position than anyone else to be aware of precisely
what parts of ObjectiveC-2 are most efficient or inefficient, and how they
compare to the traditional ways of doing things.  Have you considered producing
a paper describing those differences?  If we had them quantified we would have
a really good guide for people to know when to use new features and when to
avoid them (and when it really doesn't matter).

Just a suggestion ...