Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:27:23 -0800 (PST)

> You probably read me as harsher than necessary -- I'm truly neither
> upset or angry with your proposal, it's just that it's clearly not the
> current focus on the project, that other projects' goals would align

Riccardo, Gregory and some others are very active in developing
Applications in GAP. And, I would consider this also part of the
"GNUstep ecosystem". Whether GAP is part of the GNUstep project or is
a "twin" project - we can discuss that for years. And it is not
important. It is more an internal grouping of subprojects (sometimes
for licence aspects).

Software (and network stacks) usually work togehter layers. No layer
is useful for itself. Only together with other layers. So if someone
wants to develop a working Desktop, he/she can base this work on GAP +
GNUstep - or Etoile + GNUstep or even both. Or develop new
applications by using GNUstep as a development environment for
Applications.

> much better (GAP or even Étoilé), and accessorily we went through that
> discussion so many times in the past that it feels old.

Agreed. Therefore, we have the "Software Index" which does not make a
distinction between these components. It just allows to categorize
applications into one or even more than one of Developer Tools,
Frameworks, Applications, System Tool etc.

In my vision, just everything needed to build/define your own desktop
is available through this index. And updates become availabe. Only a
basic initial install on top of an Operating System (Kernel + device
drivers) is needed for bootstrapping. This would make configuration
much easier.

BR,
Nikolaus