Re: IDE

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:03:11 +0000

On 12 Feb 2010, at 16:54, Marko Riedel wrote:

> an acquaintance of mine with many years of experience in programming and
> system administration would like to try to develop with GNUstep. He does
> not like Emacs, however, and was not impressed with ProjectCenter. Hence
> I'd like to ask the people on this list: what IDE and what editor do you
> use to develop for GNUstep?

I never really liked ProjectCenter either, so most of the time I work in vim.
CodeMonkey is starting to look nice, but needs a bit more work before I'd
recommend it.  I know at least a couple of GNUstep developers (who I won't name
and shame) use XCode and then copy to a VM to test with GNUstep, which is
another option if your acquaintance has a Mac.  Recent versions of XCode
irritate me in myriad small ways, however.

Clang now has some very nice support for Objective-C code completion and syntax
highlighting in the libraries, so adding [Objective-]C[++] support to
CodeMonkey is (somewhere) on my TODO list.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1