Re: Best way to install cutting edge GnuStep distribution

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Best way to install cutting edge GnuStep distribution
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:19:09 -0800

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Stef Bidi <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM, "Dr Slivnik Tomaž MA (Cantab) PhD (Cantab)

>> Does GnuStep run on MINIX (or, as I am guessing, there is the same issue
>> of no support for threads and shared memory which break Gnome and KDE
>> running there)?
>
> I'd guess GNUstep would have the same problems, but you might still want to
> check!  One of the developers here has built it on GNU/Hurd and neither
> Gnome nor KDE run on Hurd.  I'm really not sure of the technical issues,
> though.

hurd has a posix threads implementation, I would guess it should work
as long as the application doesn't go multithreaded.  So it probably
depends on the application.  I haven't looked at how the changes to
use posix threads directly in base would affect this, but when we used
the libobjc threading functions, libobjc could be compiled without
thread support.   Since we use pthreads directly now you may or may
not have to implement nonfunctional versions of NSThread and friends.

as with anything rarely tested/untested its mostly something you just
have to try, but I think you could probably get a good portion of it
working.  Its a good idea to first get everything compiling, and then
run the testsuite.  (expecting that the tests which test threads will
fail).

wrt shared memory it looks like some gnustep NSData extensions at
least will be disabled and return nil, but these seem to have the
proper configure checks.

anyhow, good luck, it sounds kind of fun