Re: preliminary schedule for the GNUstep devroom @ FOSDEM 2010

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: preliminary schedule for the GNUstep devroom @ FOSDEM 2010
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 21:52:47 +0100

Am 08.01.2010 um 15:26 schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:

Am 08.01.2010 um 06:35 schrieb Fred Kiefer:

Am 08.01.2010 00:33, schrieb Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf:
- Richard dropped his talk to allow for a more relaxed schedule with
breaks.

This is a shame. Why not merge two of David's three (or even four)
talks, where it is unclear whether he will be able to attend at all.
Move my talk into the early afternoon and give Richard my slot?

For Nikolaus Schaller I see a similar problem. Nobody will be there to
listen to a talk at 9am. He should rather prepare to give all three

Oh. I think for all GNUstep developers it is a "must" to be there at 9am :) And we should fill the full time slots we have (because this is visible to the public - and not to forget that FOSDEM organizers are known to check if rooms are really used as available).

So I would add: "9:00 core developer's meeting".

good idea!

talks in the time slot starting at 10am.

Visitors rarely come on Sunday before 10:00. So I agree to start real talks at 10:00.

And I think we need less than 15 minutes breaks for 30min talks. So another idea:

Let's combine 2 talks into a "session". I.e. have 15 minutes break every 45 or 60 minutes. And squeeze my topics a little into e.g. 3x20 min sessions. I will make a clear "subagenda" for it, since visitors need to know what they get in detail (not some big potpourri).

Roughly:

09:00 - 10:00   Developer's meeting
10:00 - 11:00   2x N.S.

are you going to change the wiki accordingly?

11:15 - 12:00   F.K.
12:15 - 12:45   M.Q. & D.C.
13:00 - 13:45   N.R.
14:00 - 14:45   M.Q.
15:00 - 16:00   2x D.C.
16:15 - 16:45   D.C.

And Nicola has retracted his offer to give an ObjC introduction because the slots were full, which I bemoan because I consider such an ObjC introduction essential for the purpose to recruit new GNUstep developers and users (e.g. framework users: programmers).

Hm. I am not sure about this. There are now plenty of good Obj-C books and many newcomers interested in looking at Obj-C because they have an iPhone. In one of the german OSX developer fora I think the traffic is now 3 times as big since the introduction of the iPhone. And there are at least 5 times as many beginners questions. So I would not see a high priority in this topic that we as the GNUstep project still have to do the basic education about ObjC. We also need experienced programmers already fluent in ObjC.

my experience tells me that a lot of newbees see ObjC as a C++ with just a weird syntax. To educate them about the different nature of ObjC vs. C++, Java, C# whatever could be the topic of such a talk.

But as I said, the schedule is still subject to change. So if all involved parties agree, go forward and rearrange it!

Just keep one thing in mind: hard deadline is this Saturday (9th of January) evening, until then the schedule must be final so that it can be forwarded to the FOSDEM organizers.

And please don't forget to send me your resume and a short abstract for each talk so I can forward this too.

Fred

Thanks,

        Lars

Nikolaus