Re: FOSDEM 2010 devroom list is available

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2010 devroom list is available
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:52:32 -0800 (PST)

On 1 Dez., 18:42, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-
helld...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am still waiting for an official acceptance or (more likely it
> seems) rejection mail from FOSDEM. I already pinged the person in
> charge for the devrooms on that but got no reply as of now.
>
> Now Nikolaus has already let the unpleasant news out of the bag:
>
> Am 01.12.2009 um 14:56 schrieb h...@computer.org:
>
> >http://www.fosdem.org/2010/list-devrooms-their-call-talks
>
> > but where is GNUstep?
>
> > Nikolaus
>
> So I guess there's no devroom at FOSDEM 2010 for us. Sorry folks,
> projects like Jabber/XMPP and NoSQL seem to be more important than
> us. Why there's Crossdesktop (a collaboration across, but not limited
> to, KDE, GNOME and XFCE) and still a single room for each KDE and
> GNOME I also don't know.

When looking through the list I get the impression that the organizers
have more or less sorted the requests by project size and novelty.
I.e. either novel or "big". Unfortunately, GNUstep wouldn't make a
good position in either category...

And, it appears that there are less Devrooms. Maybe they want to avoid
that visitors need too much time changing between presentations.

Both is a good approach to keep FOSDEM attractive for those who not
only want to meet "their" project. So I think they did the right
decisions.

> What can we do now?
>
> - we can have some sort of unofficial meeting, e.g. just meeting each
> other (and maybe have a dinner together) without having a devroom.

We should do this anyway!

We can also do some hacking in the Hacker's room (unfortunately this
is not intended for discussions). And occupying a table in the
Cafeteria is also possible - but IMHO not a pleasant atmosphere for
fruitful discussions.

So we should use it as a chance to discuss with other projects and
learn what they are doing better...

> - people who want to give a talk could still sign up for lightning
> talks:http://www.fosdem.org/2010/call_for_lightningtalks- everybody
> has to do that individually.
> - we could try to join other projects' devroom efforts, I guess for
> instance Nikolaus could try to come to an agreement with the Embedded/
> Mobile devroom folks, whereas Étoilé maybe would fit in the

My other important topic "OpenMoko" fits there as well.

> Crossdesktop room. GNUstep could make friends with the folks of the
> Mono Developer Room (just kidding ;-))

And Fred could go to X11 and ask them to include the NSGraphicsContext
primitives in the next X11 protocol :)

> I am somewhat sad and disappointed about this outcome, but whatever,
> the world goes on and we can try again next year. Maybe we see this
> as a chance to get our act together a little bit better (/me looks at
> our website for instance).

What I suggest is that we also should organize our own "DevRooms" and
hacking meetings in a more formal way than before.

I think it is not well known that there is also an offer from Mike
Dexter from www.linuxfund.org to sponsor GNUstep to reach more
stability and visibility. Unfortunately the discussion has ceased.
IMHO, this is a great opportunity to really invite (i.e. subsidize
some travel expenses and hotel cost) to a series of Hacking meetings.
And by having a series of such meetings, we could set up a "to do
list", assign tasks and report progress (to Linux Funds and the
public). It will be a little painful to go through this initially
since we all are individualistic volunteers, but IMHO it will help the
whole project especially if we don't have the FOSDEM devroom&stand any
more.

> So now that I have time (and finally bought a big external hard disk)

Well, 1TB disks aren't expensive these days and hold a lot of raw
video material :)

> I can finish editing the videos from last year and upload those on
> vimeo or the like later.

That would be nice!

Nikolaus