Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM 2010 6th and 7th February 2010

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: GNUstep @ FOSDEM 2010 6th and 7th February 2010
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 04:08:26 -0700 (PDT)

On 20 Okt., 12:19, David Chisnall <thera...@sucs.org> wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2009, at 23:36, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
>
> > currently only 4 people (including myself) have declared intend to
> > come to FOSDEM 2010. This is not to overwhelming if you ask me. Btw,
> > how about you, Nikolaus? Are you planning a FOSDEM presence? I am
> > also looking for some co-organisers for our FOSDEM presence. You did
> > already this two (or more?) times in the past so I'd appreciate your
> > experience here.
>
> I can't guarantee I'll make it - I hoped to last year, but then found
> that it clashed with a big deadline - but I at least plan on trying
> to.  I'd be happy to give some Étoilé-related talks if anyone's
> interested, and maybe talk a bit about the current state of Objective-
> C compiler / runtime support.
>
> For the more general audience, I'd suggest a talk like 'Porting Mac OS
> X applications to Linux and Windows with GNUstep'.  I recently
> recorded a video porting one of the Apple developer examples to
> FreeBSD with GNUstep, and the total porting time was about 5 minutes
> (including pausing to explain what's going on), so that is quite
> feasible to do in a presentation, even with some pauses to tweak the
> UI slightly for different platforms if required.

I can confirm that it really works and does impress the audience since
I have done that several times on presentations (at least two times on
FOSDEM) by downloading some public sample code from Apple (e.g.
Polygons, Font Explorer etc.).

Here are some links:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/navigation/index.html (choose
Sample Code and find some for AppKit)