Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:01:43 +0100

On 12 Oct 2009, at 23:21, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Hi,

Germán Arias wrote:
El lun, 12-10-2009 a las 19:33 +0200, Michael Thaler escribió:
But so far my experiences weren't that great. I tried to create a project with project center. No icons are shown at all, so Project Center is not useable.

Well with stable release (startup 0.23.0) ProjectCenter and Gorm are
usable. I have many projects made with these. But you are using GNUstep
from SVN, and of course there are bugs.

They do work also from svn trunk.... I'm using them right now.
NSX11HandleWindowDecoration = YES. But today I tested this with 0.23.0
startup, and does not work. Maybe it's a bug or my memory fails.

it is GS*

If you run systempreferences, you will find both the preference for letting X11 or GNUstep handle the windowmaker (the cited one) and also GSSuppressAppIcon which inhibits the cretion of the small application icons. You need then another tracker, on windows the taskbar works fine, the same goes for mwm.

IN the long term you might want to extend GSUseWMTaskBar for your windowmanager perhaps?

GNUstep has quite a lot of defaults for adjusting behavior (and we are not averse to adding more to control interaction with other non- gnustep software) such as how manus are drawn and whether app icons are shown.

It seems to me that a lot of issues people have are with the fact that there are no native packages with themes/defaults set up to integrate GNUstep with the native look.

Perhaps people who like a a particular look could record what they found out about how to achieve it so that people can see and download it from the website or wiki. You could have a screenshot (so people can see what it looks like), and a file containing the defaults settings to reproduce the appearance (and a theme bundle for the more ambitious works). People could then download the file and/or bundle, and could install for themselves.

Really, it would be nice if people who like a particular look could provide that look for other people to enjoy.

Going back to Greg's idea of improving the website ... it would be good to provide a repository for people to provide this sort of thing for view and download.