Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:22:42 +0100

On 8 Oct 2009, at 12:00, David Chisnall wrote:

On 8 Oct 2009, at 11:50, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

- How does this allow a packager to install and remove defaults as part of package installation / uninstallation? Presumably you can use plmerge to install them (again, is this documented anywhere?), but how do you uninstall them?

This is a text property list ... a packager would manage it in exactly the same way as any other text file they install/uninstall with their packaging system. Probably something as simple as 'rm -rf /etc/GNUstep' when you are removing GNUstep from your system.

You misunderstand the question.  Here's a concrete example:

Camaelon, EtoileBehavior and EtoileMenu all provide appkit user bundles. They are each installed as separate packages. A person creating a package for them wants to make them default for every user. This requires:

1) When the package is installed, each needs to be added to the NSGlobalDomain GSUserAppKitBundles array.

2) When the package is uninstalled, each needs to be removed from the array.

Step 1 can, I believe, be accomplished with plmerge. How would you go about doing step 2?

You are right, I did misunderstand ... I understood the term 'packager' to refer to the person/people responsible for providing GNUstep with a distribution ... ie for a set of packages which are all intended to work together as part of an entire system (such as Ubuntu) and where the 'packager' would reasonably be expected to set policy for all users of the system.

I think what you are suggesting is probably (usually at least) undesirable ... a person providing a single package of their own piece of software should probably *not* be setting policy for the system and therefore should not be setting global defaults.

However, for the scenario you are suggesting the answer is still pretty much the same ... the packager could do it the same way as with most other software ... edit the file using standard unix tools such as sed and awk. Of course, we could provide specific utilities like plmerge, but 'standard' unix techniques of marking sections of the file with comments and removing/inserting stuff between those comments would work just fine.