Re: General question about GNUStep

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: General question about GNUStep
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:59:19 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Simeon Mitev<develop@paymobile.me> wrote:
> Of course, I meant native hyper threading support :)
>
>> Nice Nicola,
>>
>> Thank you for the good presentation!
>>
>> I have got answers for some of my questions. What I am still interested in
>> is multi threading support in objC compiler and runtime. While the server
>> application will run on unix with 2 quad core processors I will definitively
>> need to use multi threading to get a real benefit from the hardware. In C++
>> I can use also openMP (http://openmp.org/wp/) in example. Thoughts ?

OpenMP is for shared memory multiprocessing, not just multithreading.
It's also available in C, so you can directly use it in Objective-C if
you want...

Objective-C and GNUstep do support multithreading (see NSThread). Have
a look also at Etoile's EtoileThread implementation,
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/etoile/trunk/Etoile/Frameworks/EtoileFoundation/EtoileThread/
(which let you trivially run an object in a separate thread and
implements futures for returned values,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futures_and_promises), it's _really_
nice.