Re: are there people actually using GNUMail?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: are there people actually using GNUMail?
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:10:14 +0200

Hi,

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
Because I don't think it is workable, yet it is included in almost every distribution and seems to have a fame.

it is a very fine application...
It crashes when choosing to reply to "Everyone";
that shouldn't happen anymore since the past release of GNUstep.
It displays characters in compose window at 1/2 speed I can type;
there is a problem with your system, reading from the comments below I think you have font/backend problem.

It doesn't support thread view (as Thunderbird has) or going to the next email in this thread (as Apple mail has);
that's a design feature and i hope it stays so. Not all apps need to look and behave the same to be useful? There is an option to display threads as arced thread, which is evry convenient and even more powerful as plain tree-formed threads.

It sometimes have wired behavior, e.g. typing 'i' after 'f' causes both letter erasered. A lot of strange design. e.g. you have to do a "f-ind all" (you know why I type a dash between f and i) before using "Previous" and "Next", most newbie wouldn't get this (in case this is really logical, the button "F-ind all" should be vertically above "Previous" and "End" to give user the idea of their relationship.

I think you have a font problem A wild guess is tha tyour font has problem with ligatures. fi forms a ligature on a capable backend and font, in your case it appears that the backend tries to display a ligature that doesn't exist.

I admit, I am not posting this message from GNUmail, I used to use it every day, but stopped for other reasons than yours though, not anything critical in its usage.

Riccardo