failed to follow gnustep build guide

From: Zhang Weiwu
Subject: failed to follow gnustep build guide
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 21:16:54 +0800

张韡武 wrote:
Germán Arias <german@xelalug.org> wrote:
Have you installed gnustep-make?

Thanks very much for providing this information. But it doesn't work for me.
[snip]
I again failed trying to compile my own copy of gnustep.
I have been closely following the build guide:
http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/
And did everything told except installing developer's tools like Renaissance/Project Center/GORM.

All configure and make are done without error with exactly the same configuration option as given in the guide (not even changing the paths). Now I am at step III "GNUstep Configuration", I found I could not run "defaults" (command not found). I double-checked that I have "make install" run through all the packages I compiled in previous chapters.

I also could not run any of the installed application for lack of knowledge where the executable binaries are. Unlike debian official package, the self-compiled version did not provide /usr/bin/GWorkspace so there seems should be another way to start an application.

SO what should I do now to get a compiled system running?

Thanks in advance as usual.