Re: Question about message forwarding (with fix)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Question about message forwarding (with fix)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:35:55 +0100

On 3 Apr 2009, at 00:36, David Ayers wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 02.04.2009, 23:31 +0100 schrieb David Chisnall:
On 2 Apr 2009, at 23:17, Larry Campbell wrote:

I don't know why ffcall doesn't have the same problem; a quick
glance at GSFFCallInvocation.m leads me to believe it should. Yet my
code that crashes with ffi worked fine with ffcall.

The selector handling mechanism in GNU libobjc is horrible. Selectors
can lose type information depending on the order in which they are
registered.  It is one of the things I plan on addressing this year.

Is there a GCC/libobjc bug report and/or test case for this?  [I tried
looking for one and found some low hanging fruit while at it... but I
didn't come up with anything]

Not sure. We encountered most of these issues when working on supporting prototypes for EScript (ECMAScript-like language for Étoilé). Truls filed a bug report somewhere, but I think it may have been against GNUstep rather than GCC.

David