Re: gdnc

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gdnc
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:03:16 +0000

On 11 Mar 2009, at 07:39, Truls Becken wrote:

Justin Lolofie wrote:

I understand that gdnc must be running or it is started automatically. In my case, it fails to start up automatically. When I triy to start it up myself,
I get this message:

"failed to contact gdomap on myhostname(10.0.2.123) - Connection refused"

Did you start gdomap first?

gdnc is per user and needs to start once per boot
gpbs is per user and needs to start after X11, for instance from .xinitrc
gdomap is a system service and should be started from the bootscripts

Like you mentioned, the first two are started automatically for the
user if not already running.

1. All three are start automatically when needed ... unless GNUstep is improperly installed. 2. gdnc does not require gdomap (except in the case where you are manually running special copies of gdnc to support notifications between different users/machines)

So if gdnc is trying to use gdomap, either GNUstep is oddly configured/ installed, or a really, really old version is being used. In either case it makes sense to completely remove the existing installation, get an up to date copy, and configure/build/install in the standard manner. If using a packaged version of GNUstep, it's possible that the packager misconfigured it (or deliberately configured it to use tcp/ip based distributed notifications) ... in which case the thing to do is contact the package provider and ask them what to do (perhaps they documented their changes).

There could also possibly be some security setting in your OS that
either denies gdomap to listen to its port, or connections to be made
from "mysystem".

Also, I recommend adding "mysystem" to the 127.0.0.1 localhost line in
/etc/hosts, and not have it on a line with the actual address (if that
is the case now).

Good advice for possible installation problems with gdomap, but this should not effect gdnc as it normally uses unix domain sockets.

gdnc does need to be able to write to the temporary directory (normally /tmp), but a permission problem there would be very strange.