Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes from preparing and giving my ta

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes from preparing and giving my talk
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:32:26 +0000

On 21 Feb 2009, at 08:59, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

Hi,

- while I am on it: I find the right click behaviour of GNUstep (show
the main menu under the mouse, like OPENSTEP) quite dated. Mac OS X /
Cocoa has a context based menu on right click nowadays (like every
other platform). Maybe we can make that configurable too (to cater
both OPENSTEP heads who like the old behaviour and everybody else who
expects a context menu): how about a default named
GSSecondaryClickBehaviour?
I'd also prefer context sensitive menus on right click than the whole bunch of main menu. That would make understanding an application from an "not so experienced" user quite more easy. Especially true for more complex apps like e.g. Gorm, where therer is a plethora of menu entries, but only some apply to
the point where I right clicked.

GNUstep has always had context menus... they were available in NeXTstep.
That being said, they are used so infrequently that they may be buggy for all I know. The thing about context menus is that they are controlled by the application (of course), so they only exist if application programmers want them to. I think context menus are rarely useful, and it's generally better to try and deign a good on-screen interface rather than depend on pop-up menus and tool tips (though both have their place occasionally).