Re: Need help understanding subclassing issue

From: Pierre Bz
Subject: Re: Need help understanding subclassing issue
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:31:27 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard <at> tiptree.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On 20 Feb 2009, at 13:10, David Chisnall wrote:
>

> > My advice with regard to documentation is to stick to using the
> > Apple docs and if you find something that doesn't work on GNUstep
> > either implement it and send a patch, or file a bug report.
>
> Sounds good to me ... though I would say read both sets of
> documentation.  The Apple documents are usually more informative, but
> sometimes the GNUstep ones tell you more.  The Apple ones should
> normally be regarded as definitive, so I'd like to know about any
> contradictions or places where GNUstep docs are misleading.  In a few
> cases the Apple documentation is wrong and the GNUstep documentation
> may tell you that what we implement is the actual behavior of MacOS-X
> rather than the Apple documented behavior.

About 'misleading docs' I would suggest that an indication when classes are
clusters is warranted in GNUstep base class reference.
This would imply that subclassing is (somewhat) discouraged.

It is not so much misleading to omit this, but it is 'non-leading'.

With respect to my initial question, I think I have found the documentation
I need to read:

http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaFundamentals/CocoaObjects/chapter_3_section_9.html

Thanks for the help getting there.