Re: differences between gnustep and libFoundation while porting ogo

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: differences between gnustep and libFoundation while porting ogo
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:38:39 +0000

On 12 Feb 2009, at 07:16, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

 class:   NSException
 name:    NSGenericException
reason: subclass WOHTTPURLHandle(class) should override cachedHandleForURL:
 info:

So I took a look what GSHTTPURLHandler is doing, and for now I added the
following to WOHTTPURLHandle class in SOPE:
+ (NSURLHandle*) cachedHandleForURL: (NSURL*)newUrl
{
 NSURLHandle   *obj = nil;
 return obj;
}

that made the problem disappear. As helge always says, it works for him on
libFoundation and on Cocoa, the difference seems to be in GNUstep ???

I wrote a testcase for this, and confirmed that the GNUstep behavior (raising an exception here) is the same on GNUstep and MacOS-X. So I would guess that any problem lies somewhere else in the code. Perhaps GNUstep is attempting to use a cached URL where libFoundation isn't attempting caching?

Getting that out of the way, made me run into the next exception:
Application Server caught exception:

<snip>

So it seems, on libFoundation I can initialize a NSString with a nil string,
but not on GNUstep. I also have no idea which one is the right one.

Thanks ... I just wrote a test for this on MacOS-X (and added it to the GNUstep base regression testsuite). The GNUstep behavior is the same as the MacOS-X behavior ... to raise an exception. I don't see how the code section calling -initWithString: with a nil argument could possibly work on MacOS-X.