Re: gdl2/gui videos..

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gdl2/gui videos..
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:02:04 -0800

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
<lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

> Am 23.01.2009 um 18:03 schrieb Matt Rice:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> i've got a video somewhere I can try to find and upload somewhere
>>> which shows developing a gui program with gorm/gdl2 I could upload
>>> somewhere if you are interested.
>>>

>> so i was prodded to make good on my offer and have uploaded them here.
>>
>> part1
>> http://www.vimeo.com/2933112
>>
>> part2
>> http://www.vimeo.com/2933308
>>
>> it didn't seem to work very well in the browser window (too fast/hard to
>> read)
>> but it works better if you click the 'download mpg version' at the
>> bottom right of the page it might be a tad bit easier to follow...
>>
>> its not really a tutorial or anything, but creates a model file with
>> DBModeler, the gui with Gorm and the GDL2 palette, then runs the
>> resulting application and enters some data.
>
> I am thinking about giving a demo on that on FOSDEM (I am quite experienced
> in using the corresponding Apple WO stuff - EOModeler et al. as this is my
> day job).

Nicolas Roard also mentioned this as a possibility, and so I was going
to try to get gnustep
up and running and give everything a go sometime this week (possibly
finishing off the examples work i'd started, and maybe making the
diagram view save the locations, so you could just load an existing
model and get a good idea of the relationships, instead of having to
go through all the boring creation process)

> For that purpose I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on a VirtualBox image. Now I am
> about installing GNUstep + GORM and the GDL2 palette on that. I could do
> that using what Ubuntu itself provides but all that stuff is a little bit
> outdated.

The video is actually quite old as I haven't done much gnustep
development in a number of years
so the ubuntu version may well work, I can't say the gnustep version
used is some svn version from about a year and a half ago..

> So now my question: What versions of GNUstep + GORM and the GDL2 palette are
> required to do something like you did in your video?

sorry I can't be more specific I just haven't done much with it lately.

> Didn't you use
> ProjectCenter because you like the command line (and like using gnustep-make
> directly) or because ProjectCenter did not fit in?

short answer, I believe I just like the command line, but I never
actually tested it for fitness...
fitness equals allows you to set the LDFLAGS to link to gdl2,
and allows you to keep .eomodeld files and .gorm files in the same directory.

long answer...
well, at the time project center had appeared to be fairly well
stalled in development,
it appears that since then it has started up again I haven't tried it
but it wasn't really in very good shape
when I was doing this, IIRC the issues I had with it was that I often
had to modify the generated makefiles
to do things which I needed to do using gnustep-make (not neccesarily
to use GDL2 but in general, so i stopped trying), but it would
overwrite the generated makefile e.g. when adding a new file, it just
wasn't convenient for me.

I'm actually not a big fan of gnustep-make i prefer to just use
autotools... but that isn't important.

my intent at the time was to use project manager
https://gna.org/projects/pmanager

it had a bundle loadable project type where I could create an 'GDL2
Application', which would add in all the necessary compiler flags and
maybe a empty .eomodeld (was kinda weighing this, as i could see it
being annoying if you just want to add an existing .eomodeld, but that
would allow you to easily launch DBModeler)

GDL2Palette/DBModeler need some type of project {manager,center} integration

this is described in GDL2Palette/README, there is currently a number
of bugs working around said lack of integration, aka GDL2Palette/Gorm
only looks for .eomodeld files in the same directory as the the .gorm
file so upon opening a .nib which was created with gdl2 palette if it
can't find the model you can't create new connections to any keys...

also after you update the model in DBModeler the gorm palette has no
idea the model has changed so you have to save/reload it (maybe even
quit gorm and reopen it i forget)

anyhow in the original EOF stuff whatever that pre-xcode thing was
called was the go between between EOModeler and InterfaceBuilder, it'd
crossed my mind that its possible to just implement it in the
GDL2Palette/DBModeler through an NSConnection or whatever, but I
dunno...

I was kind of stuck in the middle of gdl2 being a gnustep project,
Project Center being a gnustep project, and wanting to integrate with
Project Manager a non-gnu project which i considered superior in the
end neither out of the box as they existed was enough to suffice for
DBModeler's needs and getting them up to that was a project in and of
itself, and there was/is plenty of work that I could do without
expanding the scope onto other applications...

i'm not aware of the current state of project center/manager fwiw,
maybe stuff has better  :)